Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tornado!


Yesterday we had a tornado warning. This is the first time I have ever been through a tornado warning with the kids and I hope that it never happens again! I could not find any pictures online of the tornado that was spotted here, so I am not sure how large it was, but it was a little terrifying just the same. The kids and I were watching a movie together when the emergency weather sirens went off. At first I really didn't think much about it because they test them every Wednesday, so you kinda get used to hearing them. It started raining and the dog was howling at the sirens so I went to let him inside and that is when it struck me that it wasn't Wednesday! Just then my friend called to make sure that I knew a tornado was sighted and apparently heading our direction.

About six months ago the girls had attended a severe weather preparation class so I told them I was going to check the weather while they gathered up the things we would need while we were holed up in the bathroom. I didn't think much about just sending them off to gather supplies on their own because for months they have been rattling off the list of emergency weather supplies we would need, like pillows, blankets, and a flashlight. I learned two things from our experience. First, during severe weather emergencies children will forgo the list and frantically run around collecting their most prized possessions. Secondly, even though the safety of your family is at risk, sibling rivalry is still strong.

After checking the weather online, Jacob and I went into the bathroom to meet up with the other kids. I walk in and Machaela and Ben are in the bathtub fighting over who gets to use the flashlight and Hannah is curled up at the opposite end of the tub and in the place that Jacob and I were going to sit there are books, toys, stuffed animals and favorite dolls. As soon as I walked in, they asked if I could go and grab the Ritz Bits peanut butter crackers! Apparently, they wanted to make the most of the situation.

(Despite our complete unpreparedness for an emergency, we did survive! The tornado ended up going north of our neighborhood.)

6 comments:

Cathy said...

I was ready to gather the kids in to the bathroom also. It was a little frightening. I am glad we all made it !!:)

Anonymous said...

The kids really know what's important. Glad you all are ok.

Anonymous said...

Glad everything was fine. Even though it was a serious siuation it was still humorous to me thinking about how the kids reacted.
Love,
Mom

machaela said...

well,about the crackers,well....we were hungry! and we did not want the yummy crackers to go to waste!

hannah said...

THE CRACKERS WERE YUMMY!!!!!!!!
...........................hey i found a penut.

machaela said...

hannah means "a PEANUT".