Thursday, May 7, 2009

M.I.A. Blogger Resurfaces

After a lengthy hiatus, I am back. It was a much needed break. I have been so busy lately with the kids, the house and school that I haven't had the energy to compose something readable, especially nothing that I think could pass as entertaining.

Ben, as usual, has proved to be the most demanding of my time and energy. I am still amazed at the personality that God packed into this little boy. Lately, we have had to concentrate on Ben throwing tantrums and getting angry when he didn't get his way. And though we still struggle with it here and there, it has improved a lot. Along with time outs and spankings, Jared and I would talk to him about controlling his anger, that anger was a normal emotion, but he needed to learn to control it. We would especially emphasize how Jesus wants him to control his anger and that Jesus wants him to be nice to other people, Jesus wants him to share his toys, etc, etc.
Well, Ben caught on real quick to our reasoning. On one hand it helped pave a way for good behavior, tantrums are down and anger management has almost been perfected, but Ben is a very smart boy and he showed us that two can play that game, you just gotta play your cards right.

Last week, as I was cooking dinner, Ben asks if he can have some pretzels......
Me: "No, you can't have any pretzels right now because dinner is almost ready."
Ben: "Mom, I want some pretzels!"
Me: "I already said you can't have pretzels!"
Ben: "Ugh!"
Me: "Ben, remember Jesus wants you to control your anger."
Ben: "Yes, He does, but He also told me He wants me to have some pretzels!"

He has used this several times since then. Ben also says that Jesus wants him to have candy after breakfast, to go outside and play after dark and to kick his little brother.

I have a feeling this isn't the last we will hear of this..........

3 comments:

Carol said...

Missed you!

It is funny how whatever we use seems to come back at us!

Laura A said...

Glad you're back! Love that Jesus told Ben to kick his little brother! :+)

I'll have to get more details from you on how you're handling the tantrums - we're going through the same thing with Ashleigh right now!

Hope you have a great week!
Love,
Laura

machaela said...

lol! my brother is HILARIOUS!!!