Sunday, August 26, 2007

Church Etiquette 101

This Sunday morning Jacob was running a low grade fever so I decided to stay at home instead of attending church and since Jared had nursery duty I went ahead and kept the other three kids home too. Machaela suggested that since we couldn't go to church that we should have a service here at home. I thought this was a great idea. Ben and Hannah were really excited also. In hearing the enthusiasm, I immediately thought of how well I must be doing as a parent! For my children to be so disappointed in not going to church that they would want to do a service here at home. Wow, I must be doing something right!

Machaela had asked if she could lead the service and I agreed. She decided she would read Genesis 1 and teach a short lesson on humility, compassion, selflessness and obedience. She even had a bulletin from last week's service that she was going to use for leading the chorus we would sing. While Ben, Hannah, Jacob and I got positioned on the couch, Machaela got a chair, sat down in front of us and prepared to lead our service. The service was to begin with the chorus. We start the chorus, things are going really well, but after one verse Ben decides he doesn't like being one of the congregants. He gets up from the couch, walks over to unassuming Machaela, grabs the bulletin, pushes her out of the chair and claims himself as the new leader! Machaela is on the floor stunned and Hannah immediately jumps up and puts Ben in a choke hold and drags him out of the chair. Ben and Hannah run out of the room, carrying their disagreement into another part of the house. Machaela, Jacob and I continue the service with Genesis 1 and the lesson on humility, compassion, selflessness and obedience. (Is anyone else getting the irony?) Machaela taught a very good lesson and even provided skits for those of us that are visual learners. By this point Hannah is back listening to the lesson. We ended the service in prayer and as we were ending with an "Amen", Ben runs in the room annihilating all of us with his Buzz Lightyear laser gun. I have no doubt that this lesson was exactly what we needed to hear today!

4 comments:

Carol said...

I'm laughing too hard! The visual imagery was great! Love the choke hold!

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like an exciting church. What time to do services begin? - Ben is definitely a boy.

headlesschickie said...

A bouncer at services...now there's an idea!

Cathy said...

I was laughing out loud imagining Hannah pummeling Ben. I love it! You crack me up!