I love Thanksgiving. It is by far my favorite holiday. Why do I love it? Well, I love the colors and the food, but also, for me at least, it is a relatively stress free holiday. I also love that during this time of year people generally try to be more thankful. I have tried to teach the kids that we should be thankful all the time, but Thanksgiving is a special time set aside to make it a big part of your lifestyle. So I have decided to dedicate most of my blogs this month to those things that I am thankful for. There are so many obvious things that I am thankful for and I am sure that you will read about these in later posts, but during this month I also try to be thankful for those little things that you run across everyday and don't really express thanks for. I have also found that trying to find thankfulness in all things really helps me deal with stressful situations or calm down when I feel my level of patience beginning to wane. For example, today has been a particularly hard day with Benjamin. It started out with him asking, make that pleading, for candy at 9:00 this morning. Of course I said no. Every Mom knows that giving candy at 9:00 in the morning is restricted to emergencies only. I wasn't at that point yet. (By the way it was a fun size pack of M&Ms.) So after my initial "No, you may not have the candy", he continued pleading. His polite 'please' started sounding strained and his sweet smile was getting a pasted on look. After about 10 more go-arounds he finally conceded and went to put it up. Later on I walked into his room to turn a light off and on the floor was a very wet, gnarled M&M candy wrapper. He had successfully ripped the middle of the package open with his teeth and had sucked out each M&M. I found him behind the couch with chocolate all over his mouth. What do I have to be thankful for in this situation? Healthy teeth. At least my Benjamin has strong, healthy, beautiful teeth. Oh, and he is clearly a very ingenious child! .jpg)
Monday, November 5, 2007
Being Thankful
Posted by darla at 1:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love that! It's so easy to get caught up in our everyday routine and not stop and count our blessings. God is so good to us. The stories you tell about Ben crack me up. What a little pill!!
he is soooo cute! i cracked up at the "candy for emergencies only" comment. we had one of those moments this week before school:)
Post a Comment