Today we had another checkup at the pediatric dentist. He was pleased with how well Benjamin is healing. All of the bruising and swelling are gone and most of the damage to his gums has healed. The dentist opted not to take the stint off today because he is leaving to go out of town tomorrow and didn't want to be unavailable if concerns came up after the stint came off. As of right now, he plans to take the stint off at our next checkup on January 8. The dentist also checked Ben's teeth to see how loose they were. The broken tooth moved slightly more than it would have had nothing happened. The dentist said again that we will just have to wait and see what happens when the stint is taken off. The teeth on either side of the broken tooth moved within a normal range and the dentist feels that Ben will keep these teeth.
I have realized that I am not the only one that is a nervous wreck when Ben is around. Every time we are in the dentist's office the staff is on pins and needles. He is so active that everyone anticipates another accident at any moment. We didn't have to wait long today for another incident. After the appointment I took the kids to Chick-Fil-A. Machaela came down the slide just as Ben went and stood at the base and Machaela ended up kicking Ben in the mouth! Needless to say, there was lots of crying, blood and praying that God would spare me anymore anxiety over this child.
After Chick-Fil-A, we went to the grocery store, which is ALWAYS an adventure with my crew. We hadn't even made it down the second aisle when Machaela poked Benjamin in the eye with a pen, which was followed with more crying and teeth examinations. (There wasn't really a need for it, but at this point whenever I hear him cry I automatically check his teeth!) Well, we made it half way through the store with no more tragedies and I had hope that we may just make it out of the store with no major fatalities, but then Ben started getting cranky because it was nap time. Now when Benjamin is sleepy he runs away from me. I don't know why exactly, but he just does. Now to keep Jacob busy I was letting him eat the grapes out of the bag. Which I am told is technically stealing since I hadn't paid for them yet and the price is figured by weight, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Lately, Jacob has been biting into grapes, sucking the juice out and then throwing them on the floor. At home this isn't so much a problem, just annoying that he wastes the grapes, but at the grocery store this creates a safety hazard. Okay, back to Ben.....he is cranky and starts to run out of the produce section and down an aisle. I quickly tell the girls to stay with Jacob while I chase Ben. I end up stepping on one of the grapes Jacob threw on the floor, realizing it I take a split second to wipe my heal on the floor to clean it off, but apparently I didn't wipe it good enough because after two more steps I was on the floor doing the splits! At least my pride was still in place, the girls didn't laugh and the only other person in the produce section was otherwise occupied with fruit trays. Though I am sure that the employees are viewing the security tapes and having a good laugh.
Jared has been asking me to post a picture of Ben with his injuries. I really didn't want to and I figured that most people would not want to see the picture, but he keeps begging me to post it, so I have given in. This picture was taken after we got home from the dentist, the day of the accident. At this point, the swelling and bruising had not shown up, but you can see the extent of damage to his teeth and gums. Please keep praying for the Lord's care over Benjamin and that His will be done concerning his teeth. Jared and I appreciate your prayers so much and can testify of the peace that the Lord has given us through this ordeal. We love you all!!
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Life with Ben
Posted by darla at 10:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
POOR BABY! I know that must have hurt so badly! You are kept on your toes all of the time my friend. I hope you guys have an accident-free Christmas and enjoy God's many blessings and His sense of humor.:) Lots of love...
Ah, he's handsome even when he's banged up. We're praying for the peace that passes all understanding...or at least a day or two that are accident-free. :)
Tom
Kudos for taking all 4 kids to the store. Are you crazy? And after a doctor and lunch out. You have WAAAAY more stamina than me...but then, I think we already knew that!
Glad the ticking time bomb is doing so well. I heard an old song yesterday that says, "There must have been wild angels watching over you and me!" I am sure God's got those assigned to Ben now!
Darla and Jared:
Kenny and I feel your pain when it comes to trauma to the gums and teeth. I don't know if you remember or not, but Erin pulled her front tooth out when she was less than 2. She hung it in the back of picture frame and yanked it out, root and all tearing the gum as it came out. We were snaggle-toothed until the 2nd grade! When the permanent tooth came in there was a little white scare on the tooth. The doctor said it was were the root of the baby tooth hit the permanent tooth bud when she ripped it out. But as you know, Erin now has a beautiful smile, much like yours, and I'm sure Ben's smile will be glorious also!
Darla and Jared:
Kenny and I feel your pain when it comes to trauma to the gums and teeth. I don't know if you remember or not, but Erin pulled her front tooth out when she was less than 2. She hung it in the back of picture frame and yanked it out, root and all tearing the gum as it came out. We were snaggle-toothed until the 2nd grade! When the permanent tooth came in there was a little white scare on the tooth. The doctor said it was were the root of the baby tooth hit the permanent tooth bud when she ripped it out. But as you know, Erin now has a beautiful smile, much like yours!
Kenny & Marcia,
I do remember Erin's accident and have thought of your family many times over these last few weeks. You are right, she does have a beautiful smile! I didn't know about the scar....I guess it will be her evidence when she tells the story to her kids!
How'd yall survive Christmas? Any teeth falling out yet?
I think you should know that wwwpage6.com is the gossip page of the New York Post. Maybe you should have another. Or count Hogan.
Post a Comment