Friday, February 29, 2008

Hablas Ingles?

Lately, Ben and I are having some communication problems. I think the problem is on both sides though. My part in this problem is that I occasionally don't understand what he is saying. For example, today he asked if he could have some tiger water. Tiger water? I am smart enough to know that tiger water is probably not what he was asking for so I ask again. "What do you want?" "Tiger water", he replies. Hmmm, well he is wearing his favorite shirt today, which just so happens to have a tiger on the front. I finally give up and ask Hannah what he is saying and of course she understands him immediately. He wants a taquito. Well, that makes more sense.

Example two. He tells me after lunch that we need to take a break. "Take a break?" "Yes, Mom. Let's take a break?" "Why do you want to take a break?" "For my birthday." "Oh, you want to bake a cake?" "YES!"

Benjamin's part in this communication problem isn't that he doesn't understand what I am saying, it really comes down to the fact that he just doesn't accept what I am saying and has decided he will push me to the edge of insanity with his persistence.

Example one. This happened first thing this morning right before I jumped in the shower. "Mom, can I have some cake?" "Cake?" "YES! Cake, woohoo!" (I have figured out that if I answer his question with a question, he takes this as a yes answer) "No, Ben. We can't have cake." "Mom, I want some cake." "We don't have any cake in the house." "But Mom, I want some cake." "Ben, we have no cake!" "But I want some cake." "I know you want cake, but there is no cake!" "I want some cake!" (eyeballs protrude, voice raises as I respond)"There is NO CAKE!"

I could just keep going on and on because that conversation lasted for about 45 minutes. And unfortunately, we have had that same conversation about a hundred times this week with various things. Bubble gum, movies, donuts, just to name a few. If this is a plan to make me question my sanity, it is working.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I know how you feel! Just with different issues related to our kids. You love them to death, but it is funny how old and insane they can make you feel.

headlesschickie said...

Boys, ya gotta love 'em! Tell me when you want to hear what worked for me on this one!

machaela said...

he is SO funny!