How many times, while out in the public eye, have I been given "the look". You know, the eyes, the comment, the tone of voice or in some cases cold silence that says, "what kind of hoodlums are you raising?" I paused to take inventory of this on Saturday because unfortunately, for the quiet, reserved man in the corner at Whataburger who had a near-miss with Ben's frisbee, we had another incidence. This man, of middle age in his respectable dress and practical eye-glasses quietly sitting in the corner booth with his paper neatly folded beside him typing away on his laptop, could not have been a worst choice to be a victim of random childhood antics.
Now you would think that someone who raised children at one time, even if it had been many years ago, would at least crack a smile. Surely, at one point in this man's life one of his children pulled a stunt that resulted in an innocent bystander getting accosted. If so, he definitely doesn't find it humorous that he was on the receiving end. Not even an apology from Jared and I could get him to utter an socially polite, "no problem" or "it's okay".
So again, Whataburger man, I am sorry. I can assure you that we did forewarn Ben not to throw the frisbee in the restaurant. And hopefully you will find solace in the knowledge that he was punished for his disobedience.
Also, to the man in the grocery store that got blind-sided when Ben was driving the kid-sized cart, I am sorry. I promise you that I have learned my lesson and those carts are banned from being used by any of my children.
To the older couple that was trying to enjoy their dinner at Braum's when Ben ran out of the bathroom loudly announcing that he pooped in the potty all by himself, I apoligize that your delicate natures were offended with such vulgar talk. I am trying to stress that even boys have to follow social etiquette.
And to the lady in the grocery store who witnessed me accidently drive the grocery cart over Ben's finger. Apparently by your response, my moment of poor judgement inconvenienced you somehow. I realize I shouldn't have let him ride on the bottom rack of the cart, but you know sometimes you have to ignore the warnings posted just to let your boy have a little adventure and me a little peace and quiet so I can get some shopping done. If it is any consolation, I told him to keep his hands on his lap. Thank you for pointing out that I ran over his finger, as if I didn't realize that when I felt the cart thump and heard him cry. And while I am sure you thought you were being "helpful" by telling me I was lucky I didn't break his hand, in the future you may need to keep your observations to yourself. They are really not as helpful as you may think they are.
Monday, June 15, 2009
A General Apology To All That Have Suffered
Posted by darla at 1:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Darla - I needed to read this today! I am still laughing out loud! Thanks for sharing!
Stephanie H.
Darla, how about an apology to the rest of us in advance for all of the strife we will go through when Ben doesn't get enough therapy due to the lack of parenting skills that you obviously cannot provide at this time....
Kevin
P.S. sounds like another contrived "blame it on the man" story to me. Poor Jared. If Ben isn't getting great mothering, I can only imagine what Jared is going through....hang in there brother. You fellas are not forgotten.
Darla-I'm so sorry (I mean about Kevin). You should write books...you are so descriptive. You make it very interesting, as do the antics that your children (especially Ben)
show. As always, I laughed, but I understand!
Kevin - My boys are fairing well, despite my moments of poor mothering, I can assure you. No need to pity Jared, he's better off with me than without me. :)
Jenn - Thanks for the compliment. I have to say that without Ben in my life I wouldn't have much to write about. He definitely has a monopoly on causing trouble. I think you witnessed some of that at MaMa's house during Spring Break!
Honey,I give those rude people three strikes with a wet rope
from me,in my heart I mean. I know a little about how rude people
can be since I had five and people wondered why I had so many. They didn't think I could take care of so many, but my five turned out to be great men and women in my book and yours will turn out great too,
just keep your chin up and your eyes on the Lord. He will help you and I think you are doing a great job with your kiddos.
MaMa - Thanks for your support. It's nice to know that in your heart I have someone to back me up with a wet rope!! I love you!!
Kevin, I feel like I'm standing on a stack of phone books and looking eye to eye with you. We are on the same page here.
Funny! I agree with Jen that you are definitely the writer. I know they are just blog postings, but they are very well written. Tell the kids we love them and hope to see you guys soon.
Needed that laugh today and who cares what those people think. I know that the kids are loved and well cared for by a great Mom.
Love You,
Mom
Oh, I am laughing so hard at this, Darla! And you're right - people can be so ridiculous and rude!
...next time, be sure to run over Ben's hand on an empty aisle so nobody will say anything to you! :+)
Thanks so much for sharing!
Love,
Laura
he makes me suffer sometimes too.
Post a Comment