Tuesday, January 22, 2008

And So It Begins

Jared and I have come upon a difficult spot in parenting. And I have to say that it isn't going to be easy or fun to deal with this aspect of raising children. As the girls have gotten older and made friends of their own we have realized how different our views may be from other parents. What is acceptable to some parents may not be acceptable to us, and vice versa. I know for a fact that there are some parents who think that we aren't strict enough, while others find us too strict. I find it interesting how parents, Jared and I included, decide where to draw the line on things you will or will not allow your children to do or see. I find there are vast differences even between parents of the same faith and denomination.
Tonight we sat down and watched a movie with the girls that they had seen over at a friend's house a few months ago. They really wanted us to see it and went on and on about how much they had liked it. While there wasn't anything blatantly wrong with it, there were some underlying themes that we weren't happy about and so we told them that we didn't want them to watch it anymore. I was proud of their reactions. I have to say there were tears, but for the most part they were understanding of our decision. What I don't like is that one day soon they will be in a situation that will require them to make this decision on their own. Jared and I won't be there to decide for them, they will have to gauge the appropriateness of the movie themselves and there is a good chance they will be the odd one if they choose not to watch it. I know children can be cruel at times and I don't want to hear that they were made fun of or called a name. (I am one of those people that would rather live in la-la land when it comes to knowing what people really think of me!)
It seems like we are fast approaching these not so fun aspects of adolescence. I am not looking forward to it. I have to say I am very protective of my kids and I have been known to give children dirty looks when they have done something mean to one of mine! Is that awful?! That is sad that a 30-something lady acts childish like that, but I have to say that I don't let my kids see me do it so that makes it a little better, right? Also, to all my friends with children....just so you won't banish me from playdates, I have never given YOUR children dirty looks, these are reserved for strangers! Again, this makes me less guilty, right? Somehow exposing that dirty little secret makes me feel a little bit better. Weird.

10 comments:

Lin said...

i feel your pain. max came home from school the other day upset about a similar situation. all we can do is raise our kids up in the ways of righteousness & pray that the Lord would watch over them & lead them down the right path.

Lin said...

btw, cute b-day pics!

Tom Barnard said...

Darla,

I feel your pain. When I married Christy, Aryn was 8. So I have been in her life through the most tumultuous years. She is now 15.

Trust me, you'll look back on this time with very fond nostalgia in about 5 years...you will think, "Oh my good Lord. Where did the good old days go when all we worried about was what movie the kids saw?" Just wait until you get that call from your child's principal that says, "Um, yes, Ms. Page, we caught your child sniffing markers today." Trust me...I've been there. :)

Tom

Carol said...

Ughh. We're getting the first glimpses of that too. Alex just doesn't understand why he can't do and watch the same things as some other kids. It's so hard to explain to them!

Anonymous said...

Darla also punches little kids when they are mean. It's frightening!!!


What's wrong with sniffing markers??? Takes the edge off of a tough day, I say.

Anonymous said...

Darla,
I said I was sorry for letting your kids watch Scream 3...you really don't need to blog about it though!!! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Jayson,

I have removed your comment and I will ask that in the future you refrain from posting comments that incriminate me! The girls check the comments on my blog so I don't want them reading things like that! I have a reputation to maintain with my children. Also, there are some mistakes that are better left in the closet and names I would rather not be associated with in certain situations, if you know what I mean. :)

Tom Barnard said...

Oh man, this is getting good. :) Now I'm left with little more than my imagination to paint the picture of what kind of awful person Darla must have been in her younger years.

I know firsthand why Jared ended up brain-damaged. I caused some of it. :)

Tom

machaela said...

mom does not punch kids! by the way,have i written too many commets?