We had a really great Small Group this past Sunday night. Very good, thought-provoking discussions on pride, which included me breaking down into tears confessing where I am prideful. The past two days I have reflected on that and wanted to crawl in a whole and hide from embarrassment, but that's just pride rearing it's ugly head again. Here are my favorite quotes from chapter two of Humility, True Greatness.
"Pride is more than the first of the seven deadly sins; it is itself the essence of all sin." (John Stott quoted, page 30)
"Why does God hate pride so passionately?....Pride is when sinful human beings aspire to the status and position of God and refuse to acknowledge their dependence upon Him." (page 31)
"Johnathan Edward called pride 'the worst viper that is in the heart' and 'the greatest disturber of the soul's peace and sweet communion with Christ'; he ranked pride as the most difficult sin to root out, and 'the most hidden, secret and deceitful of all lusts'." (page 34)
"Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." Proverbs 16:18
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Favorite Quotes - Chapter 2
Posted by darla at 1:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your not the only one...
That second one about not wanting to admit our dependence on him....ouch! That 2x4 head me right across the forehead. I think I need to read this book.
Jenn
Post a Comment