
Last year I was involved in a women's Bible study at church that read and discussed the book Humility, True Greatness by C.J. Mahaney. I love this book and can not say enough good things about it. It is a fairly short book, but the content is life-changing. I encourage you to read it, it has definitely deepened my desire to "abhor what is evil and cling to what is good". I have read through it several times since the Bible study and our Small Group is now reading through the book together. This week we read chapter one and I wanted to share some of my favorite quotes and verses from the chapter.....
"This is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word." Isaiah 66:2
"God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble" James 4:6
"Contrary to popular and false belief, it's not 'those who help themselves' whom God helps, it's those who humble themselves." (page 21)
"It is evident that man never attains to a true self-knowledge until he has previously contemplated the face of God, and come down after such contemplation to look into himself." John Calvin (page 21)
"Humility is honestly assessing ourselves in light of God's holiness and our sinfulness." (page 22)
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Highly Recommended!
Posted by darla at 3:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, some heavy thinking to start off my Monday morning! I love the quotes though, great words to be thinking about today.
what in the world is this this book???
Post a Comment